Saturday, January 31, 2009

Justice League of America #211 - Feb. 1983

sg
The Justice League of America in "The Devil's Bargain!"

This part two of the "When A World Dies Screaming!" three-part story, and it involves the JLA--and the citizens of Earth--caught between two alien races (you can go to my JLA Satellite blog for a more detailed examination of the story, parts one, two, and three).

The Phantom Stranger appeared on the cover and the splash page of the first issue, but here in part two he finally shows up to help out:



sg
This is the Stranger's only appearance in this issue, but as we'll see in two days, he finally gets to do something in the conclusion.

Like I've said before, I think, for the JLA, The Phantom Stranger was the proverbial canary in the coal mine. If he didn't feel the need to stick around, you probably breathed a sigh of relief--the trouble's not so bad, it's probably just Dr. Light or something.

But when he says something like "I appear when I am needed, and as I judge the situation, I am needed now." Uh-oh!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I always wished he had a more regular role in the JLA. I think Dr. Fate subsumed many of the same duties that the Stranger performed for them and the writers thought it was unnecessary to have so many supernatural based characters running around (Stranger, Dr. Fate, Zatanna, etc).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...